Replied Jun 25
The most fundamental questions for a CVC program to get right is understanding what your objectives are before you go about launching a program, or when someone new is taking over the program. Ther... Show more
Typically we're investing 70% in the U.S., and the other 30% in other parts of Asia, with China being the largest piece. I think we're likely to just keep that strategy pretty similar. We'll see th... Show more
Our thought is that it's after the technology has been proven and just as the companies are beginning to scale. We are investing in Series Bs, Cs and Ds, and the reason why we invest in those stage... Show more
That's a good question, and slightly hard to answer. BP recently announced its ambition to get to net-zero by 2050 or sooner. We will be coming back to the market in September with a firmer plan of... Show more
Corporate venture capital investors: what level of involvement do you seek with the companies where you invest?
BP Ventures is very active on the portfolio management side of things. It's our aim to take a board seat on every investment we make. We've had to make concessions in the past, but I don't think we... Show more
Replied May 05
Hi Matt: I would like to reconnect CitiVentures with some of our portfolio companies. Who may we get in touch with in PAlto ? I did only one deal with Citi CFO Office and its e... Show more
Many CVC peers are focusing on co-creation strategies. What are your efforts when it comes to that department?
Yes, the interesting thing about Citi Ventures is there's really four pieces to it. There's the Citi Ventures investing team, which is the team that I'm part of. We report into the Chie... Show more
What are some of the challenges and hurdles you face in investing through the lens of a large traditional institution as CVC?
The piece that we are focused on, that can be challenging sometimes, is that we are a large regulated institution. We are one of the few systemically important institutions to the financial system ... Show more
We had the Tokyo Summit in 2019, and the highlight was the collaboration between new innovative startups and then large corporations, traditional players. How can we help foster more collaboration?
I believe that trend will persist because there's a general recognition that innovation is happening much faster. It's harder for large companies to attract the talent coming out of univers... Show more