The CIO reports to the Executive Director and is the central point of responsibility and accountability for the Investment Program …
The Michigan Bureau of Investments (“BOI”) is responsible for managing over $130 billion in assets as an investment fiduciary for the defined benefit and defined contribution plans of the State of Michigan Retirement System (“SMRS”) and various specialized State trust funds. The BOI has nearly 40 years of experience as an institutional investor in private equity and other alternative asset classes, having built individual teams that specialize in particular areas; this includes groups focused on venture capital and traditional buyout. Approximately half of SMRS’ assets are in private market investments across buyout, venture capital, real assets, real estate, and infrastructure.
The BOI is seeking a Treasury Investment Analyst in the Venture Capital Division (“VCD”). The VCD is responsible for investments in venture funds as well as the BOI’s co-investment program. VCD invests across stage, geography, and sector in both its fund investments and co-investments.
At the core, the Treasury Investment Analyst will collaborate with other members of the VCD team to source, review, and evaluate prospective investments for the venture, growth, and co-investment portfolios.
The essential activities of the Treasury Investment Analyst will include:
- Assist in coordinating the timely review of new fund and co-investment opportunities.
- Assist due diligence on new investment opportunities through research, financial modeling, participation in meetings, and travel as needed.
- Assist in executing the venture capital division strategy; help create and implement new processes to better affect communication and execute strategy.
- Assist in monitoring relationships with existing VCD fund managers.
- Coordinate with internal partners on the closing of new investments.
- Manage the private markets database (eFront) and track the inflow of investment opportunities.
- Collaborate across divisions of the BOI on thematic projects and shared investment strategies.
- Gather data from internal systems, third party data providers, advisors, benchmark providers, and other sources to analyze the VCD portfolio and perform detailed analysis to evaluate analytics, such as portfolio data, strategy, sub-strategy, manager and benchmark information and present findings.
- Assist with analyzing the co-investment portfolio on key metrics, risk, performance measures, and valuation methodologies used to determine fair value.
- Assist with developing and maintaining models for the VCD that include performance attribution projections based on market assumptions, portfolio construction, benchmark composition, cash flow projections, and strategy.
The successful candidate should possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities to be successful in this position:
- Training in the principles and practices of accounting, economics, quantitative analysis, investment analysis and portfolio management.
- Knowledge of capital markets, portfolio management practices, and investment strategies.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to establish and maintain positive and professional working relationships.
- Advanced proficiency in building and maintaining Excel spreadsheets, including financial models, data analysis, and dashboards.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely in both written and oral presentations.
- Ability to read, comprehend, and synthesize extensive published research material concerning such technical disciplines as economics, quantitative modeling techniques, financial analysis, and portfolio management.
- Ability to work independently, exercising a high degree of initiative, independence, and discretionary judgment.
- Ability to successfully multi-task and re-direct job focus when needed.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and consistently produce accurate and timely information.
- Team player with a desire to learn, a strong work ethic, and the ability to be adaptive and thrive in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Strives for personal growth, enjoys and seeks out challenges, shows desire for maintaining sharpness of skill level, and has a strong sense of commitment to the job.
Desirable Qualifications. In addition to evaluating each candidate's relative ability, as demonstrated by quality and breadth of experience, the following factors will provide the basis for competitively evaluating each candidate:
- 0-3+ years of investment experience (private markets preferred).
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, economics, or business administration.
- Experience performing private market attribution analysis.
- Experience with benchmarks and performance criteria.
- Experience in interaction with external management consultants, advisors, and/or legal experts.
- Experience in underwriting, investment due diligence, and investment recommendation.
- CFA and/or CAIA designation.
Follow the link below to apply for this position.
Insights not available
Related Investment Jobs
Austin, TX, US
1 day ago
Newark, NJ, US
1 day, 1 hour ago