This position will be responsible for sourcing, evaluating, and monitoring current and prospective investment managers for the portfolio. As the head of the asset class, this position will report to the Chief Investment Officer and is responsible for various investment related tasks in addition to comprehensive coverage of one asset class. Depending on the skill set of the candidate, this role can either be for the head the fixed income or equity asset class within the WRS portfolio.
WRS offers an excellent benefits package, including medical/dental//vision/life insurance, flexible spending accounts, voluntary short and long term disability, paid vacation and sick leave, paid holidays, pension, 457 deferred compensation plan, longevity pay and opportunities for advancement. In addition, WY has no state income tax.
This position is at-will and reports to the CIO. The Wyoming Retirement System requires that each candidate submit a resume to include references and cover letter outlining applicable memberships, certifications and licenses and relevant experience.
- The listed functions are illustrative only and are not intended to describe every function which may be performed in the job level.
- Accountable for investment performance of assigned asset class as well as risk and portfolio management
- Work with CIO and other asset class heads to develop investment policy and direction
- Provide leadership to assigned asset class and organization
- Analyze current investments and their performance including current and projected asset allocations
- Independently initiate, produce, manage and compile a broad range of varied data
- Review, perform comparisons and provide recommendations related to the WRS portfolios
- Identify and assess overall risk to and within portfolio
- Coordinate application of strategies and resources to monitor impact of risk and to maximize opportunities
- Review and analyze reports from investment managers
- Read and evaluates a range of research reports
- Ensure effective communications with portfolio managers
- Assure money managers adhere to WRS Investment Policy
- Gather and analyze research on various managers and investment strategies
- Assist the investment team in development of investment policy and recommendations
- Assist the CIO with presentations to the WRS Board and others
- Prepare various in-depth reports an analyzes
- Perform due diligence and annual manager review
- Charted Financial Analyst (CFA) preferred.
- Master's Degree in Finance/Economics/Business Administration preferred.
- 7+ years investment experience preferred.
- Manager selection experience for a pension, endowment, foundation, or similar institution preferred.
- Broad knowledge of investment instruments across all asset classes including a general understanding of financial markets concepts and principals and knowledge of equity and fixed income security analysis and valuation techniques
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with ability to interact with the Board of Trustees and instill confidence
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to travel on an as needed basis
- Strong quantitative/analytical aptitude and problem solving skills
- Basic understanding of macroeconomics and its influence on investments
- Familiarity with risk analytic and evaluation tools
- General computer literacy and proficiency in spreadsheet and word processing software packages
- Commitment to teamwork and culture of excellence
- Superb work ethic, attention to detail, and commitment to the team and organizations' goals.
None - See Preferences
Necessary Special Requirements
This is an At-Will position. Statutory authority authorizes exceeding the maximum of the pay band for this position.
Successful applicants are required to pass a criminal background investigation
This position is at-will and is appointed by and serves at the pleasure of the CIO
072-Wyoming Retirement System - Investments
to view the State of Wyoming Classification and Pay Structure.
Visit our website at http://retirement.wyo.gov/default.aspx
to learn more.
The State of Wyoming is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively supports the ADA and reasonably accommodates qualified applicants with disabilities.
All applicants must apply via the State of Wyoming website:
If you need additional information contact WRS HR Director Mike Bleakley at email@example.com or (307) 777-6115.