This position will be responsible for sourcing, evaluating, and monitoring current and prospective investment managers for the portfolio. As the head of the asset class, this position will report to the Chief Investment Officer and is responsible for various investment related tasks in addition to comprehensive coverage of one asset class. Depending on the skill set of the candidate, this role can either be for the head of the fixed income or equity asset class within the WRS portfolio. The WRS portfolio is comprised of externally managed funds with Investment Staff having discretionary authority over all investments.
WRS offers an excellent benefits package, including the opportunity for performance-based incentive compensation up to 75% of base salary. Additional benefits include medical/dental//vision/life insurance, flexible spending accounts, voluntary short and long term disability, paid vacation and sick leave, paid holidays, pension, 457 deferred compensation plan, longevity pay and opportunities for advancement. In addition, WY has no state income tax.
This position is at-will. The Wyoming Retirement System requires that each candidate submit a resume to include references and cover letter outlining applicable memberships, certifications and licenses and relevant experience.
The listed functions are illustrative only and are not intended to describe every function which may be performed in the job level.
- Provide leadership to assigned asset class and organization
- Adhere to and improve the policies and methods for underwriting existing external managers and potential new managers, and recommend both additions and removal of managers/strategies when applicable
- Assist in recommending, monitoring, and adjusting the asset allocation of the overall portfolio
- Perform initial and ongoing due diligence and annual manager review
- Accountable for investment performance and risk monitoring of the assigned asset class
- Coordinate application of strategies and resources to monitor impact of risk and to maximize opportunities
- Gather and analyze research on various managers and investment strategies
- Read and evaluate a range of research reports
- Ensure effective communications with portfolio managers
- Assure money managers adhere to WRS Investment Policy
- Develop and deliver presentations to the WRS Board and others
- Ability to travel on an as needed basis
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation and/or Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA)
- Master's Degree in Finance/Economics/Business Administration
- 7+ years investment experience
- Manager selection experience for a pension, endowment, foundation, family office, or similar institution
- Broad knowledge of investment instruments across all asset classes including a thorough understanding of financial markets concepts and principals
- Knowledge of equity and fixed income security analysis and valuation techniques
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with ability to interact with the Board of Trustees and instill confidence
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Strong quantitative/analytical aptitude and problem solving skills
- Thorough understanding of macroeconomics and its influence on investments
- Familiarity with risk analytic and evaluation tools
- General computer literacy and proficiency in spreadsheet and word processing software packages
- Commitment to teamwork and culture of excellence
- Superb work ethic, attention to detail, and commitment to the team and organizations' goals