The Investment Analyst supports the execution of the Company’s investment platform by performing financial and/or operational analyses of capital ...
The Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust (“Helmsley”) aspires to improve lives by supporting exceptional efforts in the U.S. and around the world in health and select place-based initiatives. Helmsley strives to make a meaningful impact in its focus areas, matching its significant financial assets with a rigorous and results-oriented approach. Helmsley is committed to close and productive partnerships with its grantees, as well as with other funders and impact players in government, academia, and the private sector who share its interests and goals. Above all, Helmsley endeavors to be forward-thinking in every aspect of its work and will take risks that others cannot or will not take when the risk/reward trade-off warrants.
Since 2008, when Helmsley began its active grantmaking, it has committed more than $2 billion. For more information on Helmsley, please visit helmsleytrust.org.
Helmsley is seeking candidates for a full-time Investment Associate position for its Investment Department.
The successful candidate will join a hard-working, inclusive and diverse, extremely collaborative Investment staff responsible for investing the assets on a “manager of managers” basis. The position will support the Investment Directors and will report to the Chief Investment Officer.
The Investment Associate shall play a key role in external investment manager due diligence and on-going investment manager monitoring through the performance of analyses, review of reports provided by managers, and the preparation of reports about the managers.
It is also understood that a key factor in achieving the Trust’s investment objectives is through the minimization of unintended risks. The Investment Associate, in collaboration with other Staff members, shall support the Trust’s effort in this regard by collecting and preparing data and information to support the risk analysis on the overall structure of the Investment program.
The Investment Staff work with the Trust’s Investment Committee and report to the Trust’s Chief Executive Officer (CEO). It is important that they are able to adequately monitor investments. Therefore, the Investment Associate shall be involved in report preparation and analysis for the Investment Committee and the CEO.
The position will entail considerable on-the-job training.
- Support the Investment Directors in the due diligence assessment of prospective money managers
- Prepare necessary and requested analyses using the Trust’s risk and investment tools and maintain proprietary models and risk and data management systems for which training will be provided.
- Prepare cash flow analyses and investment return confirmation for private investments.
- Undertake investment manager and market research as directed in concert with other Staff members assigned to the tasks.
- Assist in the writing and preparation of due diligence reports.
- Participate in new manager meetings as needed, take notes and prepare write-ups of the meetings.
- Support senior officers in broader portfolio matters through a demonstrated ability to work across asset class lines as a generalist.
- Provide analytical support and research at manager, asset class, and Total Fund levels, including gathering preparatory material for operational due diligence on managers.
- Present research activities and key findings at internal investment team meetings.
- Assist in the monitoring of existing investment managers
- Review reports provided by the managers and conduct necessary analysis to ensure manager investments meet expectations, including performance against objectives and benchmarks.
- Assess portfolio characteristics against guidelines and other documentation. Identify discrepancies and follow up with the managers as directed.
- Review cash flows provided by managers and reconcile reported performance for private investments.
- Compare returns reported by managers for public markets with those calculated by the performance measurement provider. Identify discrepancies and follow up as directed.
- Review Burgess portfolio data for private equity and ensure underlying allocations for the Trust’s pro rata investments are being properly calculated for the Trust’s risk analyses.
- Participate in existing manager meetings as time permits.
- Prepare monitoring reports as directed along with other staff members for the Investment Committee, CEO, and for internal staff use.
Experience and Qualifications
- MBA degree in finance, or a Bachelor’s degree in Finance with a CFA credential. Having both an MBA and CFA is a plus, but not required.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience at a financial services firm, which could have been prior to business school.
- Proven record of building relationships, working as part of a team, and collaborating.
- Willingness to work hard and learn with enthusiasm and confidence.
- Have an appreciation of quantitative frameworks for analyzing problems to find solutions, i.e. think about and apply quantitative techniques rather than originate them.
- Willingness to question why and be curious.
- Ability to question and interpret data and draw practical implications.
- Willingness and ability to bring a high-energy, focused, and dedicated effort to producing work of the highest quality in the Investments Department.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and teamwork skills, including: flexibility, relationship building, interpersonal communications, openness to the ideas of others, ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues within and across units, and a reputation for treating all colleagues with respect.
- Strong sense of financial stewardship and fiduciary responsibility.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Commitment to the Trust's mission and a demonstration of fairness, voice and participation, knowledge and creativity, humility and respect, and honesty and integrity.
- Experience with Excel, PowerPoint, and Microsoft Office.
Please submit a cover letter and resumé at helmsleytrust.org/jobs-helmsley. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the U.S. and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Helmsley does not provide visa sponsorship for employment.
Helmsley is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Former military personnel welcomed.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent(s) of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required for the position. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Fund Manager from
Foundation from United States
Fund Manager from
Fund Manager from United States
Other from United States
Fund Manager from United States
Related Investment Jobs
Charleston, SC, US
19 hours, 10 minutes ago
Santa Monica, CA, US
19 hours, 19 minutes ago