The University System of Maryland Foundation is seeking an Investment Analyst to assist the USM Foundation Investment Office with a wide range of responsibilities, including data analysis, investment monitoring, capital markets and macroeconomic research, and reporting. The ideal candidate will be qualified, discrete, and demonstrate initiative.
The Investment Analyst will perform a variety of functions to support the investment due diligence, monitoring, and reporting processes of the USM Foundation Investment Office. Primarily, the Investment Analyst will be responsible for conducting portfolio analysis using risk and analytical tools, monitoring existing investments, providing capital markets and macroeconomic research, and preparing client and Investment Committee reporting materials. This professional will work closely with the Chief Investment Officer (CIO) and Investment Team, as well as the Investment Office’s strategic partners. Daily responsibilities will include a mixture of ad-hoc, short-term assignments and long-term, self-directed projects.
The successful candidate will have a strong background in data-driven investment analysis from his/her current position at an investment consultant firm. Advanced knowledge of Morningstar, Bloomberg, Novus, and eVestment is essential and mandatory, as is proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite. Efficiency, time-management, and proactivity are important skills for the role, as the Investment Analyst will be required to handle multiple priorities and deadlines simultaneously. The ideal candidate will also possess a solid understanding of investment concepts and a demonstrated ability and desire to learn about the relationship between macroeconomic and capital market developments and investment outcomes.
- Conduct careful and thorough data-driven portfolio analysis using risk and analytical tools.
- Monitor existing manager positioning and performance and participate on calls and meetings as assigned.
- Work in collaboration with Investment Office Staff to support due diligence process on new investments.
- Provide research, analytical, and organizational support to Staff for projects and ad-hoc requests, including tracking price movements, fundamental valuations, and technical indicators of passive security investments.
- Distribute weekly capital markets report to Staff, highlighting market movements and key developments.
- Oversee preparation of research materials for Investment Committee meetings, including a regularly-distributed report detailing the global macroeconomic environment and capital markets outlook.
- Contribute to the formulation of recommendations on asset allocation at the portfolio level by providing the economic outlook and valuations on targeted markets and/or investment strategies.
- Concisely summarize with practicality, relevant quantitative and qualitative top-down and bottom-up data.
- Perform and assist in ad-hoc research projects and constituent school and Investment Committee reports as needed, including reviewing peer asset allocation trends and analyzing investment manager fees.
- Stay informed on industry trends and research papers, highlighting areas of interest to the rest of the team.
Other necessary skills include:
- Candidates for this important role have a strong background in data-driven investment analysis and have already carried out many of the responsibilities listed in this job description in his/her current position at an investment consultant firm.
- The ideal candidate has a strong knowledge of data-driven investment and portfolio analytics, a detail-oriented approach to client and Investment Committee reporting, and an ability to synthesize large amounts of information into concise, interesting, and easily-digestible formats.
- This professional has a strong curiosity for capital markets and global macroeconomics and is an avid news watcher/reader – in tune with daily market movements/trends.
- Efficiency in gathering information and a willingness to operate in a proactive manner is essential, as is advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and investment data analytics software platforms such as Morningstar, Bloomberg, Novus, and eVestment.
- A Bachelor’s Degree is required, Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst charter, and Certificate in Investment Performance Measurement is desirable; however, relevant work experience will be acceptable.
- Exceptional data analysis and written/verbal communication skills.
- Strong time management, organization, team skills, and a meticulous attention to detail.
- Strong propensity and appetite for self-learning and exploration, but not at the detriment of meeting deadlines.
- Ability to work efficiently and independently in a small team atmosphere.
- Self-starter who does not require constant direction; rather, is able to identify where resources are needed and provide that assistance to members of the team.
- Commitment to earning a Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst charter.
- Strong Microsoft Office Suite skills.
- Highest level of integrity and professional standards.
- Positive attitude, sense of humor, and interests outside of the workplace appreciated.
The Foundation serves as the investment manager for the endowments of institutions within the University System of Maryland and other public higher education institutions in Maryland. The Foundation’s long-term strategic mission is to provide spendable income to the educational institutions it serves while maintaining the real purchasing power of the corpus and adding growth through appreciation. As of April 30, 2016 the Foundation oversaw approximately $1.2 billion in long-term endowment assets and short-term funds.
Resumes must be accompanied by a cover letter addressing the candidate’s interest in the position and qualifications.
Candidates considered for the position will be contacted for interviews.
Please submit applications via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please do not email members of the Investment Team.
Applicants who directly contact the Investment Team will not be considered.
The University System of Maryland Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.