Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our ...
Job Description Summary:
The Director, Real Estate reports to the Associate Vice President, Business Services and is part of the Business Services unit.
The position is responsible for university’s day-to-day real estate activities including university leasing (including oversight of lease administration), management of third-party ground leases where GW is the Ground Lessor, and acquisition/disposition activities. Serves as Asset Manager for university owned properties including a Hotel and 2 Office Buildings and works with Development and Alumni Relations on evaluation and disposition of gifted properties. The position represents GW’s real estate interests as both a Landlord and Tenant and in its institutional (on-campus retail and third-party leased space) and investment (endowment) real estate endeavors in support the broader goals and objectives of the university.
The Director supports the Assoc. VP on development of real estate strategies and optimization of the real estate portfolio and execution of real estate related strategies aligned with Campus Facilities Strategic Plan. Reporting to the Director will be a Sr. Real Estate Administrator to help support the real estate function at the University.
Serves as the institutional point of contact for GW staff for real property matters including fielding inquiries and analyzing opportunities/problems relating to real estate.
Specific position responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
• Manages the University’s on-campus retail portfolio including leasing (broker selection, identification of tenants, proposal preparation, lease and/or lease amendment negotiation), coordination with relevant GW departments on lease buildouts and tenant improvement allowances, maintains tenant relations and conducts lease administration activities.
• Manages GW’s leased space portfolio where GW is a tenant including lease originations, extensions leasing (broker selection, proposal preparation, lease and/or lease amendment negotiation and maintaining relationships with Landlords to ensure high quality service to GW tenants.
• Manages GW’s residential portfolio of properties that is leased on long- and short-term basis.
• Leads due diligence work on potential acquisition and disposition transactions and oversees selection process for brokers and/or advisors for such transactions. Participates in negotiations for such transactions including serving as the liaison with third-parties associated with such work/transactions.
• Manages, as assigned/necessary, third-party property managers and/or consultants conducting work related to the portfolio.
• Tracks timing of lease expiration, renewals, and options in accordance with schedules outlined in leases, coordinates with GW departments to ensure that university priorities are taken into account in real estate activities.
• Coordinates with Office of the General Counsel, Risk Management, Facilities Planning, Construction and Management, Dining, and GWorld Card Office on real-estate related matters.
• Utilizes university work management and lease administration software (Lease Harbor Apex) to keep accurate records and ensure lease compliance, including review of reports tracking payments, trigger dates and other key real estate terms.
• Provides reporting on real estate activities, including written reports, as necessary, for leadership of the university.
• Maintains overall budgetary responsibility and supports financial team with information needed related to payment of the university’s real property and other related taxes and fees such as Public Space, Right of Way and Income and Expense filings.
• Duties may evolve over time
Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Qualified candidates will hold a Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization plus 5 years of relevant professional experience, or, a Master’s degree or higher in a relevant area of study plus 3 years of relevant professional experience. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
• Minimum 5 years commercial real estate experience; undergraduate degree in finance, accounting or real estate or combination of undergraduate degree in any area with MBA.
• Intermediate to advanced skills in Microsoft Excel
• Real Estate experience in a university setting preferred
• MBA preferred
This position requires an individual with the following characteristics:
• Commitment to GW’s values;
• Intellectual, professional and a person of integrity;
• Honest, with the highest ethical standards;
• Passionate, collaborative, strategic, and smart with a hands-on, roll-up-the-sleeves orientation;
• Ability to work independently. Self-starter; hard worker. Takes initiative; very high energy;
• Personally accountable. Assumes ownership, control and accountability for all areas of responsibility and commitments made to others;
• Sincere, open, and direct communicator. Puts organizational interests above self-interests and is comfortable expressing candid opinions;
• Highest levels of responsiveness;
• Combination of strong intellect that is combined with a practical and realistic common sense understanding of how to get things done;
• Ability to demonstrate initiative, a strong desire to succeed and exert the extraordinary effort often required;
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, high growth, entrepreneurial environment;
• Ability to work with faculty and staff in a respectful way;
• Establish trust and credibility with institutional leadership and across the University;
• Seeks “win-win” solutions to help foster continued integration and collaboration;
• Flexible and receptive to change; and
• A positive “can-do” attitude
San Francisco, CA, US
1 day, 6 hours ago
Boston, MA, US
1 day, 6 hours ago