The State Universities Retirement System (SURS) is one of the five state-funded retirement plans that provide retirement, survivor, death and disability benefits on behalf of more than 227,000 members from 61 employers in Illinois, including state universities, community colleges and state agencies. SURS administers benefits and oversees a large, investment program with assets approximating $20.3 billion as of June 30, 2017.
SURS is an outstanding, progressive workplace with a caring and friendly staff. We offer excellent benefits, an attractive worksite and designated on-site parking. We pride ourselves on providing quality service to our members and stakeholders.
This full-time position reports to the chief investment officer. The location of this position is in Champaign.
The deputy chief investment officer (deputy CIO) works closely with the chief investment officer (CIO) to oversee the management of the System's assets, to critically evaluate investment operations and efficiency and to assist in the implementation of best practices to improve operational efficiency. The deputy CIO is responsible for directing day-to-day supervision of staff.
In addition to the CIO and deputy CIO, the investment team consists of senior investment officers for equity, fixed income and real estate, two generalist investment officers, and one investment analyst. There are also newly approved positions for an investment officer and an investment analyst.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The deputy chief investment officer provides support to the CIO to administer and manage the investment program. Key responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting in the formulation and implementation of the investment policy and related asset allocation plans
- Supporting oversight of overall fund performance, manager reviews and reporting requirements
- Performing initial and on-going due diligence to assist in selection and retention of investment managers for a broad range of asset classes, master custodian and other agents contracted by the board
- Supervising, coordinating and/or overseeing vendor searches, contract negotiations of investment and non-investment service providers and on-going compliance matters
- Providing or directing staff training and development, and assisting in budget preparation
- Evaluating and reporting on fund operations and staff performance, and adherence to administrative procedures and risk management practices.
- Ensuring that staff work products are consistent with established investment policy
- Conducting and/or supervising research, analysis, recommendations and implementation of best practices in public pension fund management
- Managing relationships with investment consultants and other non-investment consultants engaged by SURS
- Bachelor's degree in finance, accounting or related field
- Advanced degree or professional designation such as Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) or Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA) preferred
- A minimum of ten years relevant investment experience which includes experience in asset allocation and due diligence of investment managers for a broad range of asset classes using internal resources as well as the utilization of external investment consultants
- Experience assisting with the oversight of the day-to-day activities of an investment department including: coordination with external constituents (investment managers, investment consultants, custodian, transition managers and securities lending provider), reviewing external managers' performance and supervision of SURS investment staff
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, ability to communicate and effectively present complex investment policy, strategy and related procedures to the chief investment officer, trustees and related parties
- Strong computer skills
- Excellent leadership and teamwork skills
Insights not available
Related Investment Jobs
St Peter Port, St. Peter Port, GG
7 hours ago
Salt Lake City, US
9 hours, 32 minutes ago