The University of Cambridge is one of the world's oldest universities and leading academic centres. Its reputation for outstanding academic ...
The Office of the Chief Investment Officer leadership is responsible for the oversight and management of various asset classes by creating and monitoring relationships with new and existing managers, evaluating and selecting new external managers, and creating risk and investment guidelines for external managers. The Investment Officer plays an important role in the implementation of the tasks associated with the goals, responsibilities, and successful outcomes for the office. As a member of a specific asset class group, the Investment Officer will assist in the selection, evaluation and ongoing assessment of external managers and co-investments. The Investment Officer will independently monitor and report on industry trends, and work with the Office's Risk Management group to minimize investment risks.
In conjunction with the Managing Director, the Investment Officer will be assigned a portfolio of funds including but not limited to energy, infrastructure, commodities, secondaries and co-investments to monitor. The Investment Officer will assist in the recommendation of fund managers, secondaries, co-investments and special situations. This includes assisting in the selection, evaluation and ongoing assessment of these investments. The Investment Officer will perform related research, work with the real assets group to achieve the best risk adjusted returns, and prepare and oversee the preparation of reports and presentations. Participating in and leading Co-investment deal teams will be a significant part of this role. Current target sizing for Co-investments is $25 - $75 million per company. This requires significant multitasking and managing multiple projects on very tight deadlines with very short lead times. There is also the possibility for this candidate to provide back-up coverage on segments of the private equity portfolio.
- Independently source and lead co-investment opportunities while managing a co- investment deal team. Co-investments will be a critical component of this role. Strongly prefer direct transactional expertise on Mergers and Acquisitions.
- Maintain active involvement with assigned real asset funds. This includes attending annual meetings, having at least one touch point each year with each Fund, written documentation of annual meetings, reviewing quarterly financial statements and understanding any significant valuation changes or policy changes. Attend additional annual meetings on behalf of the real asset team as needed. Be able to speak in depth about each assigned fund.
- Lead due diligence on prospective investments from beginning to end. This includes assessing the investment strategy, management team, investment risks, portfolio valuations, reference calls, etc. This position is expected to deliver high quality finished work product in a timely fashion. The Investment Officer is expected to be able to provide fundamental analysis and research as part of the due diligence and will clearly articulate findings and recommendation with Managing Director in a collaborative fashion.
- Write clear and concise independent investment recommendations based on due diligence.
- Take lead role in legal negotiations and fund/co-investment closings to ensure the Regent's policies are adhered to in the process of negotiating legal documents.
- Be a key contributor to the real asset team discussions on merits and risks of an investment. In addition, bring investment ideas and or opportunities to the real assets team for discussion and review. The Investment Officer is expected to have meaningful comments on investment opportunities and demonstrate sound investment decision making skills.
- Represent the University of California on Advisory Boards. Be able to provide comprehensive industry feedback to the General Partners as necessary and provide sound guidance to General Partners. Lead restructuring of a Fund if necessary by collaborating with fellow Advisory Board members and the General Partner.
-Contribute to hold/sell recommendation for public stock distributions from real asset funds as necessary. Conduct appropriate research and analysis to support recommendation.
- Prepare and maintain standardized investment reports on fund managers in the portfolios, as well as those under consideration, and make recommendations for decision-making purposes.
- Conduct independent fundamental research and analysis in the due diligence process to identify and monitor the performance of fund managers and co-investments.
- Monitor fundamental research and identify industry trends and market intelligence and communicate the findings of such insights to the Investment group.
- Lead due diligence within the research process on investments under consideration and provide guidance to Analysts on their due diligence efforts.
- Conduct research and analysis within the due diligence process to identify, evaluate, negotiate, and monitor the performance of the asset class.
- Lead the Limited Partnership Agreement review and ensure all aspects of closing a fund are being met from a relationship and business point of view.
Utilize problem-solving skills to analyze investments on a risk adjusted basis.
- Assess risk factors associated with assigned investment opportunities.
- Be able to have a dialogue with the Managing Director or Chief Investment Officer on the overall impact of an investment on the risk reward of the entire portfolio.
- Provide research and analytical support as needed.
- Lead projects and assignments, as requested. These projects may include but are not limited to providing performance attribution, creating presentation materials, project management and drafting memos and letters.
- Provide additional support to other asset classes such as real assets. Strong preference for a candidate with energy or natural resources expertise.
Excellent oral and written communication skills are required.
- Ability to generate both qualitative and quantitative independent analysis.
- Plan and manage projects in their entirety and ensure they are delivered on time.
- Having the ability to know the right questions to ask both internally and externally to seek desired information or understanding.
- Ability to clearly articulate investment decision process and results to the Managing Director and Chief Investment Officer in a timely fashion.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks with little to no guidance.
- Use good judgment when to seek advice or help from the Managing Director or Chief Investment Officer.
- Demonstrate sound investment judgment.
- Ability to make investment decision with incomplete information.
- Ability to develop investment forecasts and modify decisions based on updated forecasts and changing data points.
- Ability to independently source, review and recommend investment opportunities with a sound investment decision making process, but not accountable for full scope of activity in asset class or final investment decision independently.
- Demonstrate original thinking.
- Demonstrate proficiency at relationship management and the ability to build and utilize extensive personal network of industry contacts.
- Provide guidance and supervision to other team members.
- Work in a collaborative and consultative environment despite skills that would allow for independent decision making. Ability to know when to act independently on decisions and when to share and seek feedback as a team.
- Strong quantitative skills that can be applied to developing original models as well as reviewing the quantitative work of other team members.
Special Condiditons of Employment
Travel - Travel outside of normal business hours
Successful completeion of a background check is required for appointment to this critical position
Special Instrustions/Additional Information
To apply for this position, please be prepared to attach your resume and cover letter as part of the application process.
Fund of Funds from United States
Fund Manager from United States
Related Investment Jobs
Washington, D.C., US
2 weeks, 3 days ago