The Washington State Investment Board is seeking a skilled professional to fill an Investment Officer position for the Private Equity Unit. This is a full time exempt position reporting to the Senior Investment Officer for Private Equity. As a member of the Private Equity team, the IO assists in the development of strategic investment strategies and guidelines pertaining to the fund's private equity portfolio. Investment officers work closely with consultants, investment managers, and outside legal counsel to implement the program's goals and objectives. The Private Equity Unit successfully identifies, recommends, negotiates, and monitors private equity investments that will enable the WSIB to earn significant returns on the funds entrusted to it.
- Work closely with general partners, advisors, and legal counsel to implement goals and objectives.
- Identify, evaluate, recommend, and monitor private equity investments.
- Assist the SIO in developing and implementing overall portfolio strategy.
- Perform due diligence on potential investment opportunities.
- Negotiate legal and business terms and conditions in partnership agreements.
- Prepare written materials for and make oral presentations to the Board and its Committees.
- Maintain and develop relationships with the WSIB's private equity general partners and attend partnership meetings as required.
- Participate actively on limited partnership advisory committees.
- Assist in complex cash flow modeling and strategic management.
- Prepare and evaluate Requests for Proposals (RFPs) as needed.
- Frequent business travel is required, including international travel, as this is an actively monitored portfolio which includes a significant non-U.S. component.
- Bachelor's degree in business, finance, accounting or related field.
- Three years of comparable experience in institutional private equity investment management.
- Either of the following may substitute for up to one year in total of the three years of experience requirement:
- Certification as a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA).
- An advanced degree in business, finance, accounting, or related field.
- Certification as a CFA.
- Specialized Industry Knowledge – A working knowledge of all sub-classes of private equity, including venture capital, growth equity, leveraged buyouts, and credit strategies.
- Analytical Skills – The ability to analyze investment opportunities, identify merits and concerns, evaluate risks, research issues, and make recommendations.
- Computer Skills – Proficiency in Word and Excel.
- Communication Skills – Excellent written and oral communications skills are essential. The IO prepares written due diligence reports for presentation to the Investment Committee and Private Markets Committee, and makes oral presentations to the Investment Committee, Private Markets Committee, and Board. The IO will also complete written quarterly monitoring reports and must clearly and concisely document issues discussed at partnership annual meetings and advisory committee meetings.
- Interpersonal Skills – The ability to work well with other investment officers as part of a team, which is critical to the success of the Private Equity Unit. In addition, the IO will coordinate and facilitate work flow with a diverse group of external parties, including consultants, attorneys, managers, and general partners.
- Negotiating Skills – The IO must have excellent negotiation skills. The IO participates in the negotiation of terms and conditions in complex limited partnership agreements.
- Time Management/Organizational Skills – The IO must have the ability to effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously, often complicated by tight time frames and travel demands.
- Supplemental Information
In addition to a complete profile, please attach:
- A cover letter specifying why this position is of interest to you and how you meet the qualifications listed above. This letter should be no more than two pages.
- A current chronological resume.
Prior to a new hire, a background check, including criminal record history, will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position.
Insights not available
Related Investment Jobs
1 hour, 12 minutes ago
1 hour, 19 minutes ago