The Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC) is the transportation planning, financing and coordinating agency for the nine-county San Francisco Bay Area ...
Reporting to the Deputy Director, Mission Investments (Deputy Director), the Investment Officer (IO) will be responsible for driving all phases of investment activity. The IO will collaborate with the Ford Foundation’s internal team, including Mission Investments department colleagues and other colleagues who serve in the grantmaking program and colleagues in operations and functional risk management. The IO will also have direct interaction with the Foundation’s executive officers and members of the Foundation’s Board of Trustees who serve on the MRI Committee of the Board.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated private equity investment expertise, with significant knowledge of the impact investing market, and have a proven ability to think methodically, strategically, analytically, and critically. They will be a collaborator that operates with integrity and uses sound judgment. In addition, they will work effectively with people from a variety of backgrounds and be committed to addressing inequality in all its forms.
- Source private equity investment opportunities in alignment with the Foundation’s target sectors; conduct financial, operational, and impact due diligence; recommend investments verbally and via written investment approval memos; negotiate and close transactions; represent the Ford Foundation on Limited Partner Advisory Committees when appropriate; monitor financial and impact performance; and perform continuous due diligence on managers
- Contribute to discussions regarding (a) asset allocation and strategy; (b) risk analysis and management, and (c) manager hiring and termination decisions in all asset classes within the MRI and PRI portfolios
- Prepare and deliver written and oral presentations to the Director, Mission Investments; Ford Foundation President; General Counsel, Chief Investment Officer, and Chief Operating Officer; and the MRI Committee of the Board of Trustees
- Review and monitor the performance of managers. Regularly meet with current and prospective managers to evaluate results, perform continuing due diligence, and assess risks in the pursuit of new investment opportunities
- Work with the Mission Investments Senior Program Officer responsible for grantmaking to establish effective linkages between the grant strategy and the investment strategy
- Share knowledge regarding the use of mission investments to further the Foundation’s programmatic goals with foundation colleagues and collaborate broadly across the Ford Foundation program division
- Recommend and participate in learning and evaluation, report on the progress of the strategies, and collaborate with foundation staff, peers, and external audiences to promote learning, exchange and strategic partnership.
- Work with the broader impact investing market on issues of common concern related to impact investing
- Represent the Foundation and its work to government, media, academic, business, investment, philanthropic, and civic leaders through meetings, updates, speeches, and interviews.
- Demonstrate outstanding professional relations with colleagues across the organization and with external constituents, serving as a substantive and reputational ambassador for the Foundation.
- Serve as a mentor and coach to associates and assistants on the team
- An advanced degree in business, law, finance or equivalent professional qualifications demonstrating investment experience, plus at least 10 years’ experience in banking, finance, private equity or impact investing;
- Proven track record as an investor, with expertise in taking investments through the cycle of sourcing, diligence, recommendation and portfolio management
- Subject-matter expertise in the impact investing market and / or demonstration of strong generalist cross cutting work in social justice area
- Exceptional leadership presence – internally and externally
- Exceptional communication skills – strong active listening skills, constructive verbal and written skills, strong public presentation skills
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively across organizational teams and offices
- Demonstrated skill in independent thinking and problem-solving
- Demonstrated ability to be a productive member of a community of people at work, respecting differences
- Investment experience across multiple asset classes, e.g., fixed income, private equity, real assets, and public equity is preferred
Insights not available
Related Investment Jobs
San Francisco, CA, US
15 hours, 7 minutes ago
Atlanta, GA, US
15 hours, 23 minutes ago