The Alfred P. Sloan Foundation is a philanthropic, not-for-profit grant-making institution based in New York City. Established in 1934 by Alfred Pritchard Sloan Jr., then-President and Chief Executive Officer of the General Motors Corporation, the Foundation makes grants in three broad areas: direct support of research in science, technology, engineering, mathematics, and economics; initiatives to increase the quality and diversity of scientific institutions; and efforts to enhance and deepen public engagement with science and scientists.
JOB TITLE: Investment Analyst
SALARY RANGE: $60,000-$70,000
The Foundation’s investment team manages a broadly diversified portfolio in both public and private investments. The Team is currently seeking an investment analyst to support the Foundation’s investment team. In addition to private and public investment work, the analyst will work across the highly collaborative Investment Team, to support the Foundation’s overall investment activities. The Foundation is seeking a candidate with 0-2 years’ work experience, pre-MBA, for this three-year
- Leads efforts in data collection, performance updating, and onboarding of external risk system.
- Assists in preparing investment and analytic materials for internal and external stakeholders.
- Assists with investment operations and performance reporting.
- Works with colleagues in Information Systems, Investment Operations, and Finance to identify and validate key information for investments and financial reporting.
- Attends meetings and conference calls with existing and prospective investment managers. Have engaged discussions and take detailed meeting notes.
- Participates in and supports special projects on an ad hoc basis.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, and/or related field.
- Zero-to-two years of experience in a financial services firm and/or similar role and pre-MBA.
- Strongly proficient with Microsoft Office applications (e.g., Word, Outlook, PowerPoint). Experience with Microsoft Excel and other tools to create financial models/analysis is essential.
- Experience with Bloomberg, eVestment, Backstop Solutions, Caissa, Preqin, and Burgiss is preferred, but not required.
- Understanding of capital markets and investments.
- Demonstrated understanding of statistical methods, such as econometrics, statistics, etc.
- Knowledge of business and investment landscape.
- Knowledge of investment systems and ability to learn new information management systems for investment monitoring and reporting.
- Strong analytical, critical analysis/reasoning, and problem-solving skills. Ability to identify key problems and suggest solutions is essential.
- Superior attention to detail and excellent organizational skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; professional, collegial, energetic, able to develop productive relationships with colleagues and stakeholders.
- Able to work independently as well as in a group.
- Able to work under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Interest and motivation in supporting the Foundation’s mission and goals.
- Able to travel as needed, including internationally.
The Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Investment Analyst position is intended for early-career investment professionals. Over a three-year period
, analysts will gain exposure and a broad range of experience in preparation of continued educational pursuits or next steps in their investment career at the Foundation or in the field.
Work samples may be requested during the interview process.
The Foundation offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits. For consideration please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line please reference the job title. The Alfred P. Sloan Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.