Boston University is a private urban research institution, established in 1869, offering a breadth of undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs through its 17 Schools and Colleges and more than 250 fields of study. The $1.8 billion Boston University Endowment Portfolio is diversified across a variety of asset classes and investment strategies. The Boston University Investment Office, formed in 2007, along with the Investment Committee of the University’s Board of Trustees, is charged with managing the University’s pooled long-term endowment assets for the current and future support of operations and with preserving the long-term purchasing power of the Endowment. It currently supports approximately 3% of the University’s operating budget.
The University seeks to add a thoughtful and bright professional to join its seven person investment team in the role of Investment Analyst. Investment Analysts play an integral role on the team and are involved in portfolio analyses, investment manager due diligence, and manager monitoring efforts. The position offers an opportunity to have broad exposure to all asset classes and develop investment expertise in an intellectually demanding and collaborative environment. The Investment Analyst will report to the Chief Investment Officer and will work closely with all investment team members.
The Investment Analyst’s primary responsibilities will include: (a) analyzing investment performance and portfolio positioning, (b) assisting the Directors with due diligence of prospective fund investments, ongoing monitoring of existing investments, preparation of Investment Committee materials and investment recommendations, and (c) participating in asset allocation discussions on a weekly basis. Additionally, the Investment Analysts are responsible for maintaining relationships with investment analytics vendors.
The Investment Analyst will assist in enhancing and maintaining the Investment Office’s models and analytical tools used to monitor portfolio performance, exposures, cash flow and liquidity. Other duties include assisting in portfolio operations, administration and performance reporting, as well as in the maintenance of a database of key information for current and existing managers and a comments-sharing database for relevant manager updates. Additional responsibilities and special projects will be assigned as necessary.
- Support Directors and Associate by assisting with rigorous due diligence and ongoing monitoring of investment portfolio and managers
- Use Bloomberg and other tools to prepare portfolio reports for the team
- Manage portfolio exposures on a look-through basis and highlight material changes to the Chief Investment Officer
- Prepare private equity valuation reports for quarterly dissemination
- Manage non-marketable model cash flow forecasts on an annual basis
- Build relationships with analytics providers and prospective investment managers
- Prepare Investment Committee materials and present portfolio updates and recommendations to the Investment Committee
- Assist with daily reconciliation of futures margin, capital calls and distributions on an as-needed basis
- Ability to gather, organize and analyze data using MS Excel and complex formulas
- Mastery of Excel and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of financial markets, investment portfolio strategy and endowment management
- Intellectually curious and inquisitive
- Highly organized and able to multi-task
- Strong analytical, writing, and presentation skills, as well as the ability to concisely articulate oneself
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact with investment managers and investment committees
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively to produce highly accurate work product
- Familiarity with Bloomberg
- Bachelor's degree with demonstrated strong academic performance required; preference for Finance, Economics or quantitative field and/or its equivalent, but not required
- 2 – 4 years of investment-related work experience; preference for investment banking, consulting, or endowment and foundation experience
- This is a pre-MBA position (no MBAs please)