They are seeking a Portfolio Analyst with experience in real estate transactional servicing work. The Portfolio Analyst role is a ...
The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF), located in Princeton, N.J., is the largest philanthropy in America dedicated solely to health. Since 1972, they have been providing funding, assistance, and research for projects and programs to help people, their families, and their communities be as healthy as possible. RWJF is committed to working alongside others to build a Culture of Health that provides everyone in America a fair and just opportunity for health and well-being.
They take seriously their responsibilities, and they pledge to work in ways that reflect our Guiding Principles. These are rooted in equity and influence everything they do at RWJF. Diversity, inclusion, and collaboration allow our staff’s wide range of experiences, passions, and perspectives to enrich their work and strengthen their ability to address their nation’s most pressing health issues. With a career at RWJF, you will make a difference.
The impact investment officer is a professional staff member responsible for developing, implementing, and managing RWJF’s impact investing program to improve health and health care. Their primary responsibilities include providing intellectual and organizational leadership in identifying areas where debt, equity, and guarantees can further the Foundation’s programmatic objectives, underwriting and structuring investments and monitoring the financial and programmatic performance of investments over time. In addition, the impact investment officer maintains relationships externally with co-investors and represents the Foundation on panels and at conferences.
RWJF is in the process of expanding its use of impact investments (debt, equity, guarantees) to complement its grantmaking activities. The impact investment officer will work closely with Program staff to identify sector-level issues that lend themselves to investment; develop a capital strategy; identify or create transactions; and assist in the ongoing learning, evaluation, and asset management of transactions.
This position works with multiple stakeholders, and the ideal candidate must have the right blend of hard and soft skills, including a finance or banking background; evidence of sustained idea generation; an understanding of the social/impact investing sector; and a passion to use capital to make a difference. The candidate must have strong written and oral presentation skills and an understanding of how to present to, and work with, an Investment Committee. This position reports to the director, Impact Investments.
The impact investment officer will be responsible for the following:
- Work with Program staff and Impact Investment staff to develop a pipeline of investment opportunities that addresses a critical capital barrier in a sector.
- Underwrite transactions for risk and impact; present to the Investment Committee; lead the closing process and; over time, coordinate with the portfolio manager on capital calls and ongoing asset management.
- Work with colleagues in Law, Finance, and Grants Management to ensure all necessary information is available to meet internal communications needs.
- Establish relationships with key external partners—including within the market-rate and social capital markets—to leverage RWJF’s investments with funds from other aligned investors.
- Represent RWJF at external gatherings, on panels, in social media, etc.
- Work with staff and consultants to assess, evaluate, and disseminate results of programs and projects. Work with staff to develop measures of impact for major programs and activities.
- Work with staff and consultants to harvest learnings from transactions, and to actively disseminate results and learnings to other staff, grantees, and the field.
- Work with other key units across the Foundation involved with communications, particularly in dissemination through the websites, social media, research, evaluations, and learning.
- Actively participate in team activities and improving team functioning, including compliance with team norms and providing support and back-up for team members.
- Partner/collaborate with the director and team to provide insight and guidance on programmatic strategies and impact investing.
- Work independently but use judgment to identify important checkpoints.
- Act as a coach/mentor to other team members and as a role model to staff.
While no one candidate will possess every quality outlined for this position, a successful candidate will bring many of the following professional qualifications and personal attributes:
- Demonstrated experience underwriting debt and equity transactions.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills necessary to interact as a team member with diverse Foundation colleagues.
- Experience and leadership in at least one of the Foundation's focus areas.
- Successful experience fostering an inclusive environment working as part of a multidisciplinary team and working effectively with persons from diverse cultural, social, and ethnic backgrounds.
- Ability to think creatively about opportunities to create and respond to novel and innovative approaches and to inspire others to work toward achieving Foundation goals.
- Ability to synthesize material, focus quickly, and identify opportunities while continuing to see the big picture.
- Strong written and verbal skills; demonstrated persuasive and respectful presentation skills for communication with internal leadership, external high-level stakeholders, and people from the communities we are working to reach on a range of complex issues.
- Comfort with using social networking tools to further RWJF’s work.
- Ability to travel; including site visits and representing the Foundation at outside meetings.
- Minimum BA in finance, urban planning, or related field. Advanced degree in related field preferred.
- Minimum 5–7 years’ experience in banking, finance, real estate, private equity, or community development.
Insights not available
Related Investment Jobs
Atlanta, GA, US
27 minutes ago
New York, NY, US
35 minutes ago