Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) is a science philanthropy whose mission is to advance biomedical research and science education for the benefit of humanity. We empower exceptional scientists and students to pursue fundamental questions about living systems, and work to share scientific discoveries with researchers, students, and science-curious individuals around the world.
Founded in 1953 by aviator and industrialist Howard R. Hughes, HHMI is headquartered in Chevy Chase, Maryland, and employs more than 2,500 people across the U.S. Visit hhmi.org/careers to learn more about working at HHMI.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Director, Private Investments in HHMI’s investment department working at the Institute’s headquarters in Chevy Chase, Maryland. The Director, Private Investments will represent HHMI as a member of the team responsible for its extensive private equity and real asset portfolio. The individual sources, evaluates and monitors private equity and other private asset investments across multiple strategies and regions. Within HHMI’s investment department, the Director will join a team of two other directors reporting to the Managing Director, Private Investments. He/she will assist in the analysis and evaluation of new ideas and managers for potential investment, as well as provide oversight and management of existing investments. The Director will attend selected meetings of the institute’s Investment Advisory Committee and will be required to travel—both domestically and overseas-- perhaps up to 25% of time. At the beginning of FY2016, the NAV of HHMI’s private equity investments was approximately $4.0 billion, and $1.6 billion of real asset investments.
- Identify strategies and source managers for potential investment, consistent with stated strategy.
- Initiate innovative analytical techniques and diligence processes to evaluate the potential attractiveness of prospective managers and direct investments.
- Develop relationships with best-in- class managers, peer investor colleagues and other private equity participants to identify potential opportunities for future investments.
- Perform quantitative and qualitative analysis for monitoring investment performance and forecasting cash flow.
- Generate and evaluate co-investment opportunities and monitor secondary markets for opportune transactions.
- Represent HHMI at manager meetings and on fund Advisory Boards, documenting findings as necessary.
- Consider the context of private investments within the HHMI endowment fund, overall portfolio construction and macro factors.
- Develop sector and regional expertise and contribute to periodic written overviews of observations and conclusions.
- Assist with developing and writing specific investment proposals and help prepare portfolio presentations to the senior investment team, Investment Advisory Committee and Trustees.
- Verbally present investment opportunities at weekly meetings of the investment department and respond to questions / feedback.
- Negotiate fund terms with assistance of internal and external legal resources.
- Provide guidance and direction to general analysts as a resource for developing and monitoring the private investment portfolio.
- Work with the fund services department to document cash movements, performance and compliance.
- Assist with ad hoc assignments assigned by the Managing Director, Private Investments.
- Demonstrate awareness and appreciation of HHMI’s mission, values, standards, principles, and programs. Be an exemplary representative of the Institute to all external parties.
- Master’s degree in Business Administration and / or Chartered Financial Analyst preferred.
- 5 or more years of investment management experience, preferably with direct oversight of private equity funds.
- Team player with ability to multi-task across investment regions, strategies and sectors.
- Strong quantitative skills particularly related to finance, portfolio theory and risk management.
- Demonstrated ability to research, analyze, and evaluate investment strategies as well as individual investment positions.
- Ability to build knowledge and monitor portfolio investments and managers on a cumulative basis.
- Capable of assisting with oversight of a significant portion of HHMI investment management activities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to develop and express analytical conclusions regarding complex financial concepts.
- Ability to think conceptually and develop innovative approaches to analyzing open-ended questions and situations regarding markets and investment ideas.
- Ability to design and execute analytical projects with high proficiency in MS Excel and similar tools.
- Willingness to travel and attend offsite meetings.
- Attentive to detail and willing to perform primary research; inquisitive with appetite for learning
- Ability to work in team-oriented, collaborative effort and provide guidance to analysts
- High level of integrity, intelligence and global perspective.
HHMI offers competitive compensation based on qualifications, comprised of salary and performance-based incentives.
To apply for this position, please visit us on our website at www.hhmi.org\careers and submit your cover letter and resume via our career page for consideration.
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer