The Alaska Permanent Fund Corporation (“APFC”) manages the ~$80 billion Alaska Permanent Fund, a sovereign endowment established in 1976 to …
The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, based in Menlo Park, California, is seeking an Associate Director, Private Investments to work in its Investment Department.
About the foundation:
The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation is a nonpartisan, private charitable foundation that advances ideas and supports institutions to promote a better world. For more than 50 years, we have supported efforts to advance education for all, preserve the climate and North American West, improve lives and livelihoods in developing countries, promote the health and economic well-being of women, support vibrant performing arts, strengthen Bay Area communities, and make the philanthropy sector more effective. In addition, we also make grants for special projects and to address other timely problems, such as challenges related to cybersecurity and U.S. democracy. In 2020, the foundation announced a new grantmaking commitment focused on racial justice.
The foundation’s assets are approximately $10.7 billion, with annual grant awards totaling approximately $400 million. A fourteen-member board of directors provides overall direction for the foundation. For more information about the Hewlett Foundation, please visit its website at www.hewlett.org.
About the Investment Department:
The Investment Department’s mission is to pursue an investment strategy that generates optimal risk adjusted returns that are sufficient, over time, to sustain the real value of the foundation’s endowment net of payout. Currently, all investments are made through a best-in-class group of external managers and is widely diversified by geography and across a range of asset classes. We embrace diversity as a core value of our team culture, alongside intellectual curiosity, integrity, passion for investing, and high performance/competence, and believe diverse opinions strengthen our investment decisions.
About the position:
The Associate Director will report to the Director of Private Investments. The Associate Director’s primary responsibility will be to participate in manager selection and oversight across the venture, buyout, and opportunistic infrastructure asset classes, which collectively represent a target allocation of 30% of the portfolio. The individual filling this position will be a critical part of our 11-person investment team.
Qualities we value:
- Intellectual curiosity and a passion for investing: You are endlessly curious, see the world in systems, and can get up to speed on complex topics, fast. You love to dig deep on obscure ideas, and you know when to ask more questions — and when to listen and learn.
- Competitive streak and intense work ethic: You’re driven by your goal to find the best investments, and you are willing to put in the work to make it happen. You love to dig into the details of investment opportunities and enjoy rolling-up your sleeves to find answers and exchange ideas.
- High Adaptability: You’re most comfortable on a small team, can prioritize quickly, and are energized by making sure investment process stays on track. The nature of our small team means everyone must pitch-in and step up in order to achieve our goals.
- Culture add: We process as a team. Diverse thinking is what leads to better decisions; you’re not afraid to be contrarian. You pride yourself on kindness, integrity, and not taking yourself too seriously.
- Humility: You value having the space to admit mistakes and are driven to learn from them.
- Effective communication: You know when to listen, when to question, and have a proven ability to get your point across.
- You get energy from the people around you: You love hallway discussions and spending time with your team. You can walk into any room and feel at ease.
Responsibilities will include:
- Working closely with the Director of Private Investments in monitoring and analyzing the existing private investments in the portfolio, including maintaining active communication with general partners, attending annual meetings, and reviewing quarterly correspondence.
- Performing due diligence for prospective investments, and assist in manager selection by evaluating the strategy, analyzing the performance, and preparing recommendations for the investment committee.
- Preparing strategic analyses of the asset class and subclasses, review allocations of capital within each subclass, and research broad investment trends.
- Supporting the directors with modeling and analysis of benchmarks, portfolio performance, risk, and liquidity.
- Researching broad investment and industry trends and support the directors and the foundation’s investment team in various projects, as required.
Required skills and knowledge:
- Candidates will likely have five to seven years of experience working in private equity, growth equity, venture capital, or other private investment functions. We’re open to candidates with more or fewer years that bring a different perspective to our investment approach.
- Strong quantitative skills in private investment analysis
- Expert knowledge of Excel and the ability to develop and manipulate complex financial models
- Ability to develop and discuss investment views
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree or Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) preferred
Physical demands/work environment:
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to spend extended hours at the
computer. This position also requires moderate levels of travel.
Compensation and benefits
The Hewlett Foundation offers an excellent benefits package and a salary that is commensurate with
experience and education. This position is exempt and full-time.
How to Apply
Please apply online and submit a resume and cover letter explaining how your skills fit this position.
Insights not available
Related Investment Jobs
Juneau, AK, US
3 hours, 18 minutes ago
Juneau, AK, US
3 hours, 22 minutes ago