The purpose of this role is to help shape UTIMCO’s private investment activities through a portfolio of venture capital funds and co-investments to achieve superior risk-adjusted long-term returns. The post will work closely with the Managing Director, Private Equity Investments, and other members of the UTIMCO investment team with responsibility to monitor current investments, evaluate potential investment opportunities, and execute projects pertaining to UTIMCO’s Private Equity portfolio, with a specific focus in Venture Capital.
Broad responsibilities include:
- Assist in management of a portfolio of private investments (including monitoring individual manager performance and risk, fostering valued relationships with all investment partners, conducting periodic updates to initial due diligence, and conducting periodic on-site visits with key investment and operations personnel).
- Source and assess new investment opportunities by establishing trusted industry contacts, meeting prospective partners, attending relevant industry events, performing qualitative and quantitative analysis as required, and assist in maintaining the prospective manager database.
- Exhibit the capacity to lead a comprehensive due diligence process for evaluating and underwriting prospective investments, strategies and/or direct investments (including but not limited to in-depth analysis of investment strategy, performance and risk, manager strengths and weaknesses, risk management, operations, manager backgrounds, reference checks, evaluation of service providers, assessment of existing investor base, and thorough review of relevant legal documents with input from counsel).
- Lead negotiation of investment structuring and terms on new and existing investments with counsel.
- Assist the Managing Director with asset allocation decisions and portfolio evaluation.
- Prepare standard and ad hoc reports and presentations to facilitate communication and transparency to the Investment Committee, Staff, Board, and other external entities as required.
- Assist with the junior-level team members as well as foster career development of the staff.
- Maintain current knowledge of global capital markets by monitoring current financial publications, as well as leveraging personal contacts with outside research/industry professionals and conducting ad hoc research, as necessary.
- Communicate effectively and responsibly with other Investment team members and UTIMCO staff and promote a true team atmosphere.
- Represent UTIMCO in the marketplace with highest integrity and professionalism.
- The position will have no direct reports but will collaborate closely with other members of the Private Equity and broader UTIMCO teams.
We seek a proven investment professional with superior commercial judgment, a track record of success, a collegial operating style, and excellent communication skills. The ideal candidate will have most or all the following skills, knowledge, experience, and personal characteristics:
- 6-8 years of relevant investment experience in the private equity arena - specifically in finance, corporate development, operations, or investment-related fields; experience with limited partners is preferred.
- 3+ years of prior work experience as an LP in Venture Capital.
- Degree in finance or accounting from a reputable institution
- An MBA from a leading institution is preferred and a CFA designation is a plus
- Knowledge of legal structuring.
- Evidence of intelligent investment decisions and their results.
- Candor regarding lessons learned from poor investment decisions.
- Superior risk management (broadly defined) capabilities.
- Exceptional quantitative skills to evaluate fund and portfolio performance.
- Well versed in financial applications (e.g., Excel, Bloomberg).
- Strong, proven written and oral communication skills.
- Solid interpersonal and organization skills.
- A collegial, team-oriented, constructive, “can do” attitude.
- Unquestioned honesty, integrity, and transparency.
- Domestic and international travel will be required.
- Fluency in the written and spoken English language is required.